Friday, May 12, 2006

A Victory for the American People

S.1955, also deceptively known as the Health Insurance Market Modernization & Affordability Act (HIMMAA), more aptly known as the "Lose Your Benefits" Bill has FAILED in the Senate.

No one is more surprised than me. I had prepared myself for a loss, and stayed offline last night because I was pretty bummed.

I'd like to give credit to all the people out there that called their Senators about this. I haven't seen the roll call on this one yet, so I don't know how our own Senators voted. I'm not sure we were able to change any votes on a local level. However, everyone who wrote a letter or made a call was part of a larger nationwide effort that apparently DID make a difference. And that has to feel good.

I want to thank my dear friend Anne Jacobs, a cancer survivor out of California that first made me aware of this bill. She forwarded me an action alert from the American Cancer Society that made me aware of this bill and what a lousy idea it was.

And I want to thank a newer friend whose help was simply magnificent throughout this. I'm not 100% sure I can identify this lovely young lady publicly. If I can, I'll modify this post later and put her name in it so she can take a proper bow. If not, know how grateful I am.

Americans everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»