Saturday, August 19, 2006

President Rufus T. Firefly

The only time his timing was ever off was when he died... Just a couple of days after Elvis, so hardly anyone noticed.

It was 29 years ago today, so Freedonia's flag flies at half mast today in his honor.

Watch this clip of him in action, and think of it in this context... When planning a war, is he any worse than what we have now?



Here he is catching spies.



"You're a brave man. Go and break through the lines. And remember while you're out there risking life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in here thinking what a sucker you are." - President Bush Firefly

Mrs. Teasdale: The future of Freedonia rests on you. Promise me you will follow in the footsteps of my husband.
Firefly: (to audience) How do you like that? I haven't been on the job five minutes and already she's making advances to me. (to Mrs. Teasdale) Not that I care, but where is your husband?
Mrs. Teasdale: Why, he's dead.
Firefly: I'll bet he's just using that as an excuse.
Mrs. Teasdale: I was with him to the very end.
Firefly: Hmmph. No wonder he passed away.
Mrs. Teasdale: I held him in my arms and kissed him.
Firefly: Oh, I see. Then, it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first.
Mrs. Teasdale: He left me his entire fortune.
Firefly: Is that so? Can't you see what I'm trying to tell you? I love you! (jumps into her arms)

4 comments:

LeftWingCracker said...

Upstart.

John Harvey said...

Yep, I'm a Marxist-Lennonist. Grouch Marx and John Lennon!

I adhere to Groucho's notion - "I could never belong to any group who would have me as a member!"

Freedonian said...

I am a devout Marxist-Lennonist myself, John.

I kept thinking of Groucho over and over during the Dem primary. He had joined a country club (Already somewhat of an achievement, as Jews weren't allowed in that era), but he was told that he couldn't go in the pool.

He said "My son's half Jewish. Can he wade in up to his knees?"

Cracker,
That's it! No man lives who can call a Firefly an upstart.

John Harvey said...

Free - I always heard Groucho had "tried" to join a country club and they wouldn't take him because he was a jew. Once he achieved such stardom, they decided it was a good thing to have him as a member, and that's when he made his comment about not joining any group who would have him as a member.