Wednesday, December 27, 2006

District 30

Others were quicker to get this reported than I was, but my friend Kevin Gallagher has dropped out of the Senate District 30 race. Beverly Marrero and he would be drawing votes from the same pool of liberal voters, and could easily have allowed Robert Spence to get the Democratic nomination. As my friend Leftwing Cracker says, "Robert Spence's problems would kill our chances to keep this seat in Democratic hands". I've documented his ethical troubles here before, and a well-funded Republican campaign could do much worse damage than I did with a half hour and a search engine. If we pick Spence, we lose the seat. Plain and simple.

I would like to thank Kevin for making the decision Marrero wouldn't--- To stand down for the sake of the party and the state. It is that kind of wisdom that made me want to vote for him in the first place.

Now, I'm going to throw my support behind Beverly Marrero. And when she wins, I want to see Kevin Gallagher taking her place in District 89.

Kudos, Kevin. I'll leave my yard sign up a few more days in your honor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should probably clarify your post for what you really mean:

"would be drawing votes from the same pool of liberal voters"

liberal = white, liberal

"and a well-funded Republican campaign"

Republican = white, Republican

Freedonian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freedonian said...

Actually, if I had meant white, I would have said white. But nice try. I suppose when all you've got is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail, so keep marginalizing yourself by pretending it's about race every time something doesn't go your way. It's hardly my fault that the only black candidate to pick up a petition is as morally compromised as a three dollar hooker.

Lots of ways to divide up those voters without getting into race.

When I say liberal, I mean liberal. Know it, learn it, hate it if you must, but make sure you know it. I've never shied away from discussing race when it's a factor.

autoegocrat said...

Okay, okay, you busted us. We're really just soft-hearted Klansmen without the sheets. We burn peace signs in the yard, not crosses.

Anonymous said...

have read your comments about Robert Spence being "ethically challenged", but all your ethical charges have no substance. They are only innuendo and supposition. There is no credence to anything you say. The first charge I can recall is that Spence retired 11 days after becoming eligible. What's wrong with that? Would you have had him continue to work the job even though he had EARNED the right to retire? Notice he abided by every rule and he EARNED the right to retire. Next you said he continued to work for the city after his retirement and earned a large sum of money. Again I ask, where is the ethical violation in that? The city requested his continued service and he obliged at the going rate for legal representation for lawyers with his experience in the Memphis market.

Your assessment of Spence is totally wrong. He is exactly the kind of politician our community has never elected. He does not need any political office. He is offering himself and allowing his reputation to be sullied by people like you for the good of the entire community.

His opponent does not have the educational background, the community relationships or public policy skills of Robert Spence. Does Morrero even have a HS diploma and if so, does she have a college degree? Spence has three. He is a pharmacist and lawyer. Who is a former city attorney and entrepreneur.

The best candidate in this race of both parties is Robert Spence hands down