Monday, March 12, 2007

More On Campfield

I think everyone who reads this blog knows by now that I'm nofan of Stacey Campfield's. I think he's a fine example of what happens when you vote for a Freeper.

Thanks to Kleinheider at Volunteer Voters, I saw video of Campfield being treated a bit more roughly than I would have imagined on the floor of the House. I'm relatively neutral on the bill Campfield was proposing--- I'm certainly not a big fan of legislators sticking their own names on anything that sits still too long, but I can think of about fifteen thousand legislative priorities I would place ahead of it. So I can certainly relate to the representatives that kept asking "Are you getting constituent calls about this?"

But Representative Ben West carried it to a new level when he made a motion to have the bill voted on in Savannah's town square on July 4th.

That kind of behavior has no place on the floor of the legislature.

There is a time and place for that kind of display of disrespect. The time is now, and the place is here. For if we allow legislators to just goof on Stacey Campfield at will, what will those of us with functioning brain stems do on our blogs? Are they not playing in our sandbox at that point?

No comments: