Friday, April 13, 2007

The Thinking Blogger Award

I was quite honored to go to Newscoma's site the other day and see that I'd been nominated for a "Thinking Blogger Award". Now, this is an honor coming from Newscoma, who writes so well that she makes even "Lost" sound interesting.

Yes, I'm aware that this is a meme, but it's a good one--- It allows me to promote blogs that I like, and that's always a good thing.

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote


Okay, I'm modifying the rules slightly (This way I don't have to pare down my choices as much as everyone else--- It's good to be King of Freedonia!). I will refrain from nominating the blogger who nominated me, though she is easily one of my favorites and a phenomenal regular read for anyone. Tracy's work, no matter whether she's writing about politics or her current bout of bronchitis, is always interesting to read. I love it, and if I go a day without reading it, you know I've been busy as hell.


I'll also refrain from re-nominating her nominees, even though Cup of Joe Powell is another of my favorites.


(Ha! I now cleverly have to dwindle down to seven favorites instead of five!)
Okay... My five in no particular order are:
What can you say about these guys? Pesky Fly is easily one of the best bloggers out there, with a fresh, inventive take on anything. I don't care if you have read a thousand stories on a given issue--- Your reading is not yet done unless you've read his.
Kibitzer is simply brilliant. He not only writes superbly, but has a masterful talent for getting information out of anyone. I've got to tag along and watch him work sometime--- His ability for getting information has me wondering if he has a waterboard set up in the basement.
Autoegocrat is not only a good friend, but the man writes so well that his grocery list would be an interesting read. There have been issues I've had a tough time giving a damn about until I've read his take on it.
Jeff is a published sci-fi writer with a talent for spotting a way to make anything funny.
Christian Progressive Liberal doesn't post as often as I'd like, but damnit, when she does, it's an event. I love reading her take on anything, and I'm jealous of those who got to meet her at the Media Reform Conference.
No one knows exactly who Bob is. I've got a theory, but so does everyone else. But you know what? It doesn't matter. Just enjoy his site and digest the wisdom contained therein. Bob is easily the most quotable of the Tennessee bloggers. I dropped a "Bob-ism" at lunch with friends recently, and no one had to ask where I came up with the phrase.
What can you say about him? First of all, he's the dean of the Memphis liberal blogosphere. He's a walking fountain of information who has easily forgotten more than most of us will ever have the good fortune to know about American politics. And he's an incredibly nice guy and a good friend.
Lindsey has been, according to her site, "picking and flicking emotional scabs since 2003". When she writes about a serious issue, no one does it better. And when she's writing about the odd little snippets of life that we all face every day, she does so with a cleverness that could bring a smile to even the stoniest of faces. As if to prove that God does unfairly heap too many talents upon one person, thereby telling the rest of us to fuck ourselves, she's also a brilliant graphic designer (But does she do windows?).
In the interest of full disclosure, David is one of my best friends in the world. He's the reason I'm a blogger. And he's agreed to be my best man. With all that out of the way, he's a brilliant guy that everyone should read, if for no other reason than picking the mind of a brilliant guy. He added some talent at his site late last year, most of which are not active--- But Desi Franklin is over there writing brilliantly these days, and everyone should take the time to read what she's saying.


Honorable mention goes to Polar Donkey
Frank posts sporadically at best (Almost a month since his last one), but he has such a talent for information that it makes every word on his blog a must-read. Seriously, the rest of us can rail about social inequality for days as it relates to banks vs. check cashing places in poor neighborhoods, the unequal distribution of wealth, or any other of a myriad of social ills. But he goes a step better than that--- He'll show you where he's charted it on maps.

8 comments:

Tom Guleff said...

All good sites. I also enjoy Mick Wright's blog. I think you would be surprised of the political leanings of many of your (and their) readers.

LeftWingCracker said...

It's an honor to be included in this group.....

'Coma said...

Wow.
Thanks for the nice words, Rick.
I swear, I'm going to come to Memphis and buy all of you guys a good frothy beer.

Freedonian said...

Oh, I'm sure of it, Tom. After all, you should see the hate mail I get when I write something anti-gun! ;)

I like Mick, actually. And I like your site. If the list was a little bigger, both would be on there.

Freedonian said...

Brocracker, the honor is mine.

Coma, I'd like that quite a bit. Let me know next time you're in town--- I'll round the gang up.

Blinders Off said...

Freedonian,

You deserve to be RECOGNIZED.

LWC promotes the BEST blogs in
Memphis, in case you didn’t know his site is where it all began for me. I read blogs more than I do the fish wrap paper (borrowing LWC name for the CA) and magazines. Also, blogs are probably more reliable and informative than the mainstream media, considering how mainstream news media lost the trust of many.

theogeo said...

Thanks for the mention, Rick! Very, very cool. :)

Freedonian said...

It was well deserved, Lindsey.